Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 19:00:22 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > Imagine user confusion and frustration when a command that is known to
>> > Help cannot be invoked!
>>
>> Why would the user wish to invoke a command that makes no sense on the
>> context he is working on?
>
> Because whoever marked it "nonsensical" made a mistake?  Or because
> time passed, things have changed, and what made no sense back then may
> make sense now, and Emacs maintainers missed that or couldn't keep up?
>
> IOW, let's not assume that the marking is perfect.  It's done by us,
> and we can make mistakes.

Yes, aka bugs. Why would we cripple a feature because it can contain
bugs?

>> After all, we also hide the menus of modes when they are not active
>> on the current buffer.
>
> Menus only show a small fraction of the commands.  More importantly, a
> command that doesn't appear in the menus still can be invoked, so the
> user does have a "fire escape" in that case.

The user has many fire scapes: he can edit the function, use M-: or,
simply, disable the filtering. Or implement the gesture you suggested on
the paragraph I didn't quote, although that is not my preferred solution
because those gestures tend to be hard to discover and remember.

Nobody is suggesting that the filtering should be mandatory. Maybe we
can argue about the default, but that's all (FWIW, I'm in favor of
making it optional in 28 and consider it as the default for 29)