Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 10:57:40 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:41:15 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I suggest making RET let you execute any valid command if you have
> entered its exact name.

This has been suggested, but unfortunately the code on master was not
modified to do that yet, and I didn't see any enthusiasm for making
such a change.

> In addition, if you do completion and the existing input string
> matches nothing that is marked as meaningful, I suggest it could
> complete based on the commands that are not marked as meaningful.
>
> Another idea: If you have made a listing of possible completions from
> names marked meaningful, typing TAB or ? could replace that with a
> full list of possible completions (meaningful or not), and each
> successive TAB or ?  could toggle between the two.

Something like that was also suggested.  Again, none of that is
currently on master, so I wonder whether it looks like a good idea to
people.  (I personally do like it, but then I was saying from the
get-go that the current code of the feature is too radical.)