Re: Unicode 15

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode 15
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:56:15 +0300

> From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh <lumarzeli30@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 06:56:48 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The lisp/international/ucs-normalize-tests.el is failing and the file says to
> adjust
> ucs-normalize-tests--failing-lines-part1 and
> ucs-normalize-tests--failing-lines-part2,
> but what do the numbers mean there?

See the code: those are failing line numbers and character numbers.

When the test fails, you have a procedure to update those so it
passes:

  ;; If there are lines marked as failing (see
  ;; `ucs-normalize-tests--failing-lines-part1' and
  ;; `ucs-normalize-tests--failing-lines-part2'), they may need to be
  ;; adjusted when NormalizationTest.txt is updated.  Run the function
  ;; `ucs-normalize-check-failing-lines' to see what changes are needed.

Note the last sentence.  admin/notes/unicode mentions that comment
where it describes how to run this test.

> Also, the latest noto emoji[1] is in a new format named COLRv1 which I guess
> is not yet supported by
> emacs therefore all of the emojis are appearing as blank, so we should
> support that in the future.
> in the meantime do you know of any other font which supports the newest
> emojis so that emoji support could
> be
> tested?

I don't know of any other fonts, sorry.

As for COLRv1, I think it's HarfBuzz and/or Cairo that need to support
that, no?  But I'm just guessing here.  One thing to try is to run
hb-view and see what it produces for these sequences.