Re: Package "luwak"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Package "luwak"
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 18:34:44 -0500

  > > lynx dump -> feline excretion -> Kopi Luwak

  > Judging from your talk at EmacsConf, I guess you would still prefer a
  > different name because this would still fall under word play.

I like wordplay in general, but this wordplay is so obscure that no one
will get the joke, so it isn't very funny.

For names of packages, the priority is to help users find ahwt is
useful to them.  "Luwak" is no good for that, so we should not use
that name.  If we want this ackage in Emacs, we should rename it to a
name that will help users find it and remember it.

That dosn't mean we can't keep this wordplay at all.
We could say, somewhere in the package description, that

  This package was originally called "luwak", making a juke
  lynx dump -> feline excretion -> Kopi Luwak

That would not interfere with higher priorities such as
discocerability and memorability.

But I think that it won't be sufficient to enable most Emacs users to
get the joke.  That would require some more explanation.  But there's
no harm in adding more explanation.