Re: [Orgmode] Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:51:21 +0200

On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Manish wrote:

 On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Austin Frank wrote:
As always, thanks so much for the hard work!  And also to John!

On Sun, Oct 05 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:

New attachment system
---------------------

   You can now attach files to each node in the outline tree.  This
works by creating special directories based on the ID of an entry,
   and storing files in these directories.  Org can keep track of
   changes to the attachments by automatically committing changes to
   git.  See the manual for more information.

   Thanks to John Wiegley who contributed this fantastic new concept
   and wrote org-attach.el to implement it.

Well! My curiosity's certainly piqued, but I confess that I don't quite get the applications here. Any chance Carsten or John would be willing
to let us know how they're using this?

Let me take a stab at it.

1. Create a test file. test.org
2. Add a task to it.
3. Do `C-c C-a' while on the task.
4. Press `a' from the launcher menu to add an attachment.
5. Select a file to be attached to it (somewhere in a subdirectory
  named data where org files are contained (careful, it will /move/
  the file, not copy it.)
6. Attach another file to it using #3-5 (or use `c'.)
7. Press `C-c C-a' followed by `o' to open an attachment from the
  options.

I am sure there's more to it but this was enough for me to be
convinced of it's utility.  I just wish that:

1. it copied attachemnts instead of moving them (may be an option),
  and

I have now:

- select the preferred method with org-attachment-method (cp or mv or ln) - New keys `c', `m', `l' allow to select a specific method for a single attachment. - Creating an attachment as an emacs buffer used to be on `c', it is now on `n'.

- Carsten

2. there was another option to archive the attachment directory from
the launcher menu itself (a `Z' for zip, just like there is `D' for
deletion.)

Also, the synopsis above and the manual both mention git integration,
but I don't understand what exactly is done. It sounds like if the org file lives in a directory that is a git repo, any additions or changes to the files in the auto-generated data/ subdirectory are automatically committed? Is this the right idea? What does the synchronize command
do if the directory isn't a git repo?

If the directory where attchments are kept/maintained (not the Org
files themselves) is turned into a git repo, then org-attach.el will
automatically commit changes to it.

I am thrilled to see a move towards some nice defaults for org and git integration. I see that in org-attach.el you're using shell- command to call git directly. If you don't mind, may I ask if you considered using git.el that is distributed with git (in contrib/emacs/), or even magit
(http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/)?

I am not sure but I think git.el and magit.el etc. make it easier for
the end-user to interact with git but org-attach.el just needs to
execute add and commit on the git repo so an additional dependency can
be avoided.

As always, thank you Carsten and John for the amazing amazing
software.

-- Manish