fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Multiple usernames and password typos

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Multiple usernames and password typos
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 00:52:13 +0200

On 7/4/08, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>  I'm about to try a potential solution to the global username/password
>  issue,

What do you have in mind? I've been thinking about creating a
HostConnection class to hold the host specific part of the
'environment' and the SSHClient, and put instances of these in
CONNECTIONS instead of the SSHClients themselves (and whenever the
code needs a complete environment it'll create a union of ENV and the
host specific part).

> but before I did so I wanted to finish documenting my
>  exploration of the code (well, the start of a document, anyways). Just
>  pushed it to my Git repo as doc/site/programmers_guide.txt and an HTML
>  version can be found temporarily at
>  http://bitprophet.org/fab/programmers_guide.html.
>
>  Of particular interest to this discussion are the sections "Users and
>  passwords" and "Relationship between command functions", although I am
>  hoping Christian will have time to look over the whole thing at some
>  point to give me an idea of how far off base I am with my
>  interpretation :)

Lots of good points and considerations in that. I'll make sure to look
it through more thoroughly.
Not sure if you know about this or not, but you can do 'fab layout'
for a birds-eye view of fabric.py.
And a personal style thing: I'de like to discourage lines longer than
80 characters :)

>  Thanks,
>  Jeff
>
>  P.S. I don't like Textile much (it's way too hard to write inline
>  Python syntax like __foo__ or @bar with it, and its block code is also
>  pretty finicky) but I didn't want to bring a different markup syntax
>  in, so I stuck with it :) Seems to render with generate.py OK, at any
>  rate; and where'd you get the styling for the code blocks? I like it.

Textile ain't perfect- especially not with inline code, but.... I just
couldn't get myself to use an angle-bracket language. The generate.py
and textile.py have lots of odd edges that one needs to work around
from time to time. The colors are nicked (slightly modified) from a
django theme for TextMate - if you have the Monaco font, then the code
looks the same in the examples as it does in my editor.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
Christian Vest Hansen.