fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Multiple usernames and password typos

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Multiple usernames and password typos
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 19:05:53 -0400

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Christian Vest Hansen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> What do you have in mind? I've been thinking about creating a
> HostConnection class to hold the host specific part of the
> 'environment' and the SSHClient, and put instances of these in
> CONNECTIONS instead of the SSHClients themselves (and whenever the
> code needs a complete environment it'll create a union of ENV and the
> host specific part).

Yea, that was basically my idea too, although I haven't gotten any
farther than just going "welp, I think it's time to start using
classes, so let's make a simple Host class to start out with", and
storing the hostname/username/password/client, with the assumption
that extra state and/or functionality could be tacked on as needed.

Let me know if you want to try it out first or if I should, I'd rather
avoid unnecessary duplication of effort :)

> Lots of good points and considerations in that. I'll make sure to look
> it through more thoroughly.
> Not sure if you know about this or not, but you can do 'fab layout'
> for a birds-eye view of fabric.py.
> And a personal style thing: I'de like to discourage lines longer than
> 80 characters :)

Yea, I know about fab layout, which is why I keep resisting the urge
to write out the available commands. However, I think I will anyways,
but focusing on "this is how, and why, X behaves the way it does, and
here's how we might want to extend/change it" instead of just going
"run runs stuff, sudo runs stuff as sudo, upload uploads".

I'm still pretty bad at the 80-character rule despite starting to
convert to PEP8, but I'll try to keep an eye on it, sorry! Part of it
is that 80-character windows just look so *narrow* on widescreen
displays, hah. But I realize how important it is, given that I do
spend 50%+ of my time in the terminal...

> Textile ain't perfect- especially not with inline code, but.... I just
> couldn't get myself to use an angle-bracket language. The generate.py
> and textile.py have lots of odd edges that one needs to work around
> from time to time. The colors are nicked (slightly modified) from a
> django theme for TextMate - if you have the Monaco font, then the code
> looks the same in the examples as it does in my editor.

Ah, that's why those colors look familiar. And, in terms of
angle-brackets or no, I was actually meaning to contrast Textile
against Markdown, which is my lightweight markup of choice; writing in
straight HTML would be pretty nasty indeed. I'm actually using
Markdown to write the Django book, it's worked very well despite tons
of code example blocks, inline code snippets, double-dash hyphens
(--), and so forth. I use the same overall style in the Fabric doc but
Textile felt much less flexible :(

Anyway, don't want to raise a stink, I'm hoping to spend more time
writing code than docs soon, just wanted to get that material down "on
paper" to help wrap my head around Fabric.

-Jeff