fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric Run Prompt

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric Run Prompt
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:42:08 -0800

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Kyle B <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm with Paul on this one. My scripts are for an automated deployment
> system. There will be no human interacting with them. I would also like to
> see if this is possible to have automated handling of interactive prompts
> through fabric. Otherwise, just like Paul, I have to revert to either using
> pyexpect or paramiko.

What are you doing exactly which cannot be automated through
traditional means? This is not some enormous missing feature or we'd
get more than a couple of new requests for it every quarter :)

The majority of Unix programs out there offer various ways to run
non-interactively, specifically so they may be scripted. Having a
feature to deal with poorly behaved programs is thus not super high on
my "implement myself" priority list.

Not that it wouldn't be a useful feature in general (since things are
never perfect re: well behaved programs) -- if someone were to
contribute a patch meshing expect-like behavior with Fabric's exec
model, I'd have no qualms about trying to merge it in.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Forcier
Unix sysadmin; Python/Ruby engineer