Re: [fluid-dev] macos x questions

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] macos x questions
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:28:43 -0700

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 09:18, Fausto Saporito wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> i'm trying to use fluidsynth 1.0.5 under Mac OS X 10.3, but I have a
> strange error during at the start:
>
> fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested midi driver
> Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
> will be available. You can access the synthesizer
> through the console.
> fluidsynth version 1.0.5
> Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
> FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
> SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.
>
> Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.
>
> I don't know which midi driver I have to use. Basically what I want to
> do is to use a midi player that see the fluidsynth as a software synth,
> instead to use the internal midi player.

Like Ebrahim Mayat mentioned, you probably want to try MidiShare.

> Another question, I tried to see in the online help but i had no
> success, how can I assign to all the channels the same soundfont?

I believe when you load a SoundFont into FluidSynth it assigns the same
SoundFont to every channel but selects increasing bank:preset numbers.
So:

MIDI Channel 0: Bank 0, Preset 0
MIDI Channel 1: Bank 0, Preset 1
MIDI Channel 2: Bank 0, Preset 2
etc

If you wanted to select a different bank:preset for a channel you could
use the select command (can also be used to change SoundFonts too):
select chan sfont bank prog (example: select 0 0 0 10 - to set first
MIDI channel to first loaded SoundFont, bank 0, preset 10). Or you could
use the 'prog' command if you just want to select a different program in
the current bank of a channel:
prog chan num  (example: prog 0 10)

Not sure if you know it or not, but the help is divided into multiple
sections. Issue "help help" to get a list of help sections. "help event"
for instance will show you MIDI event related commands.

> thanks a lot,
> Fausto

Hope that answered your question, please elaborate if you meant
something else. Cheers.
        Josh Green