Re: [fluid-dev] macos x questions

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] macos x questions
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:11:18 +0200

On Aug 21, 2004, at 3:55 PM, Fausto Saporito wrote:

just another question, now i am able to run the cvs fluidsynth with midishare and without any error at the startup.
happy to hear that

I'm quite new to MACOS world, so I tried to use the MIDI interface tool, shipped with MACOS, but i don't know how to configure a midi interface there, and if it's really needed to do that.

Are you running FS using an external MIDI-USB keyboard, a MIDI keyboard routed through an MIDI-USB interface or just simply running FS from Terminal.app? if you using the second option, you simply have to install the OS X driver that is supplied on the CD included with the MIDI-USB interface. As for using a keyboard that plugs directly into the USB socket, I would imagine that Josh has some experience with this.

Do you know a good midi player for macos x?
You can play MIDI files through FS since FS has its own sequencer. Try something like this:

fluidsynth -a coreaudio /path/to/sf2/files/soundfont.sf2 /path/to/MIDI/files/MidiFile.MID

(you can also play MIDI files using Quicktime and iTunes, if you wish)

I hope this answers your questions.
Ebrahim