Re: [FR-devel] GUI Links and Morphic

From: Ron Jeffries
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] GUI Links and Morphic
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:47:41 -0500

Around Thursday, January 24, 2002, 11:28:33 PM, Mike Sassak wrote:

> I can say at least, that I don't think we should use Morphic for
> FreeRIDE quite yet. It's our goal to build an IDE, not implement a
> completely new UI programming paradigm, right? We'll save that for
> version 2.0. ;)

If something about Smalltalk were to be put into Ruby, or into
FreeRIDE, this wouldn't be the feature I'd be looking for.

I'd be looking for Ruby in Ruby, for real incremental development, for
browsers/senders/implementors ... the /real/ smalltalk stuff.

At the same time, I /would/ dearly love to have a standard Ruby GUI
interface. None of the ones I've tried were particularly good, and of
course none of them is standard. I'm not sure whether I'd pick Morphic
were I to undertake a GUI for Ruby (and I would have great concerns
about the performance). Still, it'd be cool.

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
The practices are not XP. They are a path to XP.