Re: [FR-devel] GUI Links and Morphic

From: Horacio Lopez
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] GUI Links and Morphic
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:17:18 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sassak" <address@hidden>
> Ok - I added some links about usability to the developer resources, and
> placed some links about Morphic at the bottom of the
> GUIFrameworkProject/GUIComparison page.

[snip]
> I can say at least, that I don't think we should use Morphic for
> FreeRIDE quite yet. It's our goal to build an IDE, not implement a
> completely new UI programming paradigm, right? We'll save that for
> version 2.0. ;)
> -mike

No doubt about it.
I just mentioned it in relation to Sean Rusell's rant, about a common
GUI API for Ruby.
(Which, eventually, in an hipotetical future, FreeRIDE should support,
if that ever becomes concrete real world code)

I know I am completely off-topic now, but just to comment on your
Morphic investigation.
You probably know that Morphic wasn't invented for Smalltalk.
Morphic was invented in Sun Microsystems, and it was developed
for the Self programming language.
After that, Martin Mahoney (Self lead developer) left Sun, joined
the Squeak team, and ported Morphic for Smalltalk in the process.
Interestingly, Sun didn't pick Morphic when they designed the
Java GUI system, I guess it was because MVC seems to be
faster than Morphic and Java was slow enough at that time.

So, if you are interested on yet more Morphic:
http://research.sun.com/research/self/release/Self-4.0/Tutorial/Morphic/Morp
hic/Morphic.html
(I added it to the links list you created in the Wiki)

As I finish writing this email (it takes me a long time !!)
I am reading Mr. Jeffries reply.....

Just to make it clear, I am only providing food for thought :-)

cheers,
                  vruz