Re: [FR-devel] GUI Links and Morphic

From: Mike Sassak
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] GUI Links and Morphic
Date: 25 Jan 2002 00:22:25 -0500

> If something about Smalltalk were to be put into Ruby, or into
> FreeRIDE, this wouldn't be the feature I'd be looking for.
>
> I'd be looking for Ruby in Ruby, for real incremental development, for
> browsers/senders/implementors ... the /real/ smalltalk stuff.
>
> At the same time, I /would/ dearly love to have a standard Ruby GUI
> interface. None of the ones I've tried were particularly good, and of
> course none of them is standard. I'm not sure whether I'd pick Morphic
> were I to undertake a GUI for Ruby (and I would have great concerns
> about the performance). Still, it'd be cool.

Oh, understood completely. I've always been wary of the projects that
promise the sky - they seem to rarely deliver the code. Hence the wink.
:)

As for GUI's - have you been following the (sometimes wild) recent
threads on GUI's in Ruby-talk? I'd be interested to hear from an
accomplished SmallTalker what the ups and downs are of such an
integrated integrated development environment. :) As a SmallTalk
neophyte who's only really played around with Squeak on a couple of
different occasions (but was quite amazed at the 'integrated-ness' of
it) I really don't know the "killer" parts of the SmallTalk workspace
that would be a good thing to (possibly) put into FreeRIDE.

-mike