Re: [FR-devel] Nishio Mizuho's Source Browser -- any volunteers?

From: Philipp Meier
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Nishio Mizuho's Source Browser -- any volunteers?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:04:18 +0200

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 03:35:45PM +0200, Laurent Julliard wrote:

> I like this idea. However before we embark into the integration of the
> source browser I'd like to collect opinions about 2 extensions I think
> we must do first. This is about augmenting the current layout of the
> AppFrame with 2 new pane: a DockPane and a ToolPane.
>
> The DockPane is a pane that should be place on the left hand side of the
> EditPane and allows plugins to dock their own UI in this area. I can be
> a source browser, a project browser (if we ever have a notion of
> 'project' in FR) and I also see the future CVS plugin in there. The
> DockPane can host several plugins UI at the same time each of them
> inserted in the TabItem of a TabBook (for the FOX rendering). The
> DockPane can be collapsed along the left hand side of the window if not
> used.

JEdit, a highly plugin based java editor has a similiar feature. It goes
even farer and uses the "BorderLayout" from the Swing LayoutManagers. For
the non-java people, a BorderLayoutManager can contain other gui elements
in the following manner:

  +-----------------------------+       +------+---------------+------+
  |           North             |       |      |    North      |      |
  +------+---------------+------+       |      |---------------+      |
  |      |               |      |       |      |               |      |
  |      |               |      |       |      |               |      |
  | West |    Center     | East |   Or  | West |    Center     | East |
  |      |               |      |       |      |               |      |
  |      |               |      |       |      |               |      |
  +------+---------------+------+       |      |---------------+      |
  |           South             |       |      |    South      |      |

A Plugin's GUI can be docked anywhere Nort, West, South or East. Of more
than one GUI is plugged in a pane, they get shown in a tabbed pane.

If it's done with split panes this would be a nice way to implement
this.

-billy.

--
Meisterbohne       Söflinger Straße 100          Tel: +49-731-399 499-0
   eLösungen       89077 Ulm                     Fax: +49-731-399 499-9