RE: [FR-devel] Nishio Mizuho's Source Browser -- any volunteers?

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Nishio Mizuho's Source Browser -- any volunteers?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:59:31 -0700

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> I like this idea. However before we embark into the integration of the
> source browser I'd like to collect opinions about 2 extensions I think
> we must do first. This is about augmenting the current layout of the
> AppFrame with 2 new pane: a DockPane and a ToolPane.
>
> The DockPane is a pane that should be place on the left hand side of the
> EditPane and allows plugins to dock their own UI in this area. I can be
> a source browser, a project browser (if we ever have a notion of
> 'project' in FR) and I also see the future CVS plugin in there. The
> DockPane can host several plugins UI at the same time each of them
> inserted in the TabItem of a TabBook (for the FOX rendering). The
> DockPane can be collapsed along the left hand side of the window if not
> used.
>
> Then comes the ToolsPane (if you have a better wording...) that would
> appear in the bottom part of the AppFrame. This the area where tools
> like debugger would pop up when used. If not used the ToolsPane is not
> visible.
>
> For those of you who are familiar with the IDEA Java IDE what I describe
>   here is very similar.

Yes, we do need something like this.

My thought was that where panes are allocated window-space would be,
somehow, determined by attributes that we would set for each pane (like
visible=yes/no; docked=none/left/right/top/bottom; float=yes/no; etc.). And
that the left and the bottom would each have a docked TabbedPane, to which
you could add things like the debugger, project view, source browser, etc.
as additional tabs. I was thinking of the left-docked tabbed pane as a
NavigationPane and the bottom-docked tabbed pane as an InfoPane.

Anyway, like yours, these are just ideas. Think about it along with your own
ideas and see what you end up with.

Curt