fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] Petition to protect Information Technology property right

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] Petition to protect Information Technology property rights (Was: Re: "FSF Canada" )
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:25:21 -0500

On 12-02-16 03:51 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
        We've been hosting paper petitions that use the official
     parliamentary process http://c11.ca/petition  , with the one I
     personally believe in the most being the "Petition to protect
     Information Technology property rights" which raises the issues
     discussed above (TPMs can be applied to both content and devices).

If you show me the text of the petition in question, I will take a look.

At the URL is PDF and OpenDocument files which need to be printed and signed on paper. It is using the existing parliamentary petitions procedure which doesn't currently accept electronic petitions.

I'm including the text of both petitions below so people can decide if they want to endorse and/or sign. If the FSF, or specific influential individuals, wish to publicly endorse the petition that would be very helpful! And of course, please forward (ask questions, etc).

The IT property rights petition has received a modest 390 signatures so far. I took lead, and launched in 2006 after Conservatives formed government.

The user rights petition has 2834 signatures, and was launched in 2004. Others took the lead on the text, but I added added last sentence ("and to recognise the right of citizens to personally control their own communication devices").

More pages are trickling in the mail to my home all the time. If we could turn that into a flood that might have a great impact.

Petition to protect Information Technology property rights

To the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled

We, the undersigned Canadians or residents of Canada draw attention of the House to the following:

THAT technical protection measures (TPMs), as implemented by some copyright holders, can violate end users privacy rights, prevent consumers from enjoying content on devices and software of their independent choice, and circumvent or compromise the security of their computers, including rendering them vulnerable to attack, as was the case in the well publicized Sony-BMG RootKit fiasco.

THAT TPMs can be applied to both content and devices, and thus the copyright holder and the owner of the device have rights that must be respected;

THAT while copyright holders own rights on the protected work, private citizens usually own the devices used to access those works;

THAT TPMs can be abused to harm the interest of the copyright holder and/or the device owner;

THAT numerous Canadian organizations have opposed the legal protection of TPMs applied by copyright holders or manufacturers to devices, including (but not limited to) the Canadian privacy community, Digital Security Coalition, Canadian Music Creators Coalition, Appropriation Art, Canadian Federation of Students, Canadian Library Association, Canadian Art Museum Directors' Organization, and several thousand Canadians who signed the Petition for Users' Rights.

THAT existing Canadian legislation, such as the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, prohibits the condition of the supply of a product or service on a person waiving their rights;

THAT the Canadian Competition Act section 77 regulates against exclusive dealing and tied selling;

THEREFORE, your petitioners call upon Parliament to prohibit the application of a technical protection measure to a device without the informed consent of the owner of the device, and to prohibit the conditioning of the supply of content to the purchase or use of a device which has a technical measure applied to it. We further call upon Parliament to recognise the right of citizens to personally control their own communication devices, and to choose software based on their own personal criteria.

------------------------------cut------------------

Petition for Users Rights
-------------------------

To the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled

We, the undersigned residents of Canada draw attention of the House to the following:

THAT the Copyright Act is properly recognised as being a careful balance between the rights of creators and the rights of the public (including viewers, readers and listeners);

THAT the Supreme Court of Canada unanimously affirmed this view in CCH Canadian Ltd v Law Society of Upper Canada;

THAT digital technologies have recently given copyright holders the ability to upset the balance in the Copyright Act by preventing Canadians from accessing works for purposes that have been legally granted to them;

THAT the creation of original works is nourished by wide accessibility of earlier works, including a vibrant public domain;

THAT dissemination of cultural ideas requires that they be preserved in a form that is accessible to future generations; and

THAT historically consultations regarding changes to the Copyright Act have mostly taken place with creators, intermediaries and only some special users (such as educators and librarians)

THEREFORE, your petitioners call upon Parliament to ensure generally that users are recognised as interested parties and are meaningfully consulted about proposed changes to the Copyright Act and to ensure in particular that any changes at least preserve all existing users' rights, including the right to use copyrighted materials under Fair Dealing and the right to make private copies of audio recordings. We further call upon Parliament not to extend the term of copyright; and to recognise the right of citizens to personally control their own communication devices.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own