Re: [Fsfe-uk] hacker definition

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] hacker definition
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:09:12 +0100

Yes, I agree with points made by Chris on the existing perception of hackers. But is it not time for change?

Especially when, even BBC online has run interviews, where RMS was able to clarify this and related issues. Actually there was a related quiz to enlighten people about the hacker/cracker issue. Also note that anyone who might browse through to this and related webpages is bound to be aspiring to explore new emerging technologies and ideas.

I have attended two occasions recently where heavily funded talks on licences and 'IP rights' were discussed by a 'consultant' to an audience of professional artists who in my view were trying to explore electronic information/content distribution methods too.

In both cases, I felt that wrong information was being given as the speaker was not really aware of the IT related issues. In one case there was mention of the OPL, as if it was the 'copyleft' . The links given out for further referencews were very awful (DTI's webresource was definitely for the last century!).

My thinking was C4's 'Ideasfactory' could become one such useful link to gently introduce the emerging IT related issues to 'creatives' who want to be precise with what they do. A simple eg: Model a product concept : Software to use --> Blender, POV-Ray, GIMP ....

(My perception of C4 has always been as an alternative point of view to the corporate propaganda organs)

Also the (now) traditional use of free software as a complete and viable networks system could be highlighted to those who have very little IT experience if AFFS could persuade the people behind this website. Only then we could have some useful linbks appearing in places like

http://www.ideasfactory.com/new_media/links/index.htm

Regards

Ram