Re: [Fsfe-uk] hacker definition

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] hacker definition
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:23:47 -0000

Ramanan Selvaratnam <address@hidden> wrote:
> OK, it is more clear to me now.  Some specific examples will be more
> helpful to understand the issue with OU, better.

I'll have to defer there to people who know the OU better than I do.

[...]
> The missing link is a central resource that gives more depth to the real
> value of free software by highlighting the human touch to it all.

It's hard to do this in a way that makes it human.  Arguably, the Brave
GNU World descriptions of software should be attached to the FSF/UNESCO
directory entries.  Would someone be able to work on that, and connecting
the directory up to different export formats?

[...]
> Only if you correct the spelling mistake(s).  I have given up trying to
> find the spell checker on Mozilla mail.

Oh, I thought that you were referring to fr0d.

>>>The scope of free sofware is truly astonishing and it is time that there
>>>is one central resource highlighting/promoting this in the UK, to the
>>>common (wo)man.
>>OK, but how do we best do this?  Link up with the UNESCO/FSF directory
> Simple links will be a waste. Commented / supported guidance is worth
> exploring.
> One could even view this as some form of recruitment too.

Do we try to run an "ask AFFS" service?  Really, I'm stuck on how you think
we can do this.

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: address@hidden
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.