Re: [Fsfe-uk] hacker definition

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] hacker definition
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:16:01 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

Actually, another thing that I'm not having much joy with is the OU.  I
got so far, but was then told that their hostile "students accepts all
risk and no help" towards free software was a policy decision.  When I
asked who makes that policy, they started ignoring me.  Can anyone find
out the answer?
I thought this was regarding the support for the distant learning courses. eg: the support for M$ IE, Outlook etc. or in the case of Bikbeck I found that they supported Netscape on Windows and Mac and thats it! The courses are coordinated on a MUD server running GNU/Linux! There are so many free MUD clients out there on free systems but non-free web browser interface is what is officially supported!

[..]

finished a degree in Molecular Biology, but I thought studying
part-time
I do not know about other fields of study but being into bioinfo/proteomics myself, it is great to see highly capable free software actively replacing the many 'freeware' that force a limit on the OS or the cost. I would really like to discuss some related issues offlist with anyone interested.

In my experience I find that the fellow students addicted to a certain system help the tutors to stick to the status quo as all the confusing talk of 'freeware is not free software' gets too much for everyone. Especially when the tutors were from a generation when the software freedom was not an issue and now they have to put up with the non-free administrative document formats anyway. Maybe the the ones who would stand up for free software never join these courses because they haven't been 'empowered' !

The point I am making is that distant study from the comfortable and *affrodable* locations will be fair on good citizens only if teaching institutions adopt and support free software. It is worth looking into the possibility of presenting a united front to highlight this for different fields of studies.
People like the OU will have to take notice then.

More worryingly I have noted that my kid is being introduced to non-free software at playgroup that I cannot supply at home!!

The scope of free sofware is truly astonishing and it is time that there is one central resource highlighting/promoting this in the UK, to the common (wo)man.

Regards

Ramanan