Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: martin . voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:48:44 +0200

> >>Interresting, so no save or load function are possible without SGSL ?
> >>

> >What do you mean? What should these functions do?
> >

> Sorry for not been clear in my statements. But what I mean is that the
> save and load functionality in the glob2 game are based on the SGSL
> "language" system, as this both manipulate and "holds" vital game state
> informaion. Without SGSL this would not be possible, is that right ?

No. Script state is saved via the script c++ api. This saves the script
execution state (instruction pointers, stacks and heap, except that SGSL has no
stacks). But this state is completely private to the script. We can say that
script state is a standalone part of the game.

While executing, the script can change the state of the game by calling
functions that have been previously exported to it. There is no share between
script state and game state. The game is halted while the script executes, until
all the script threads are blocked (waiting for some conditions to happen in the
game) then game executes one step and eventually script threads execute again,
testing if the conditions they where waiting for have changed, etc.

Martin