Re: [glob2-devel] Development Cycle

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Development Cycle
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:15:00 -0800

Andrew Sayers wrote:
Are we still aiming to get a 1.0 version of Glob2 released as soon as
possible, or are we now looking to have an extended development period
on the current codebase?  Since Nuage has returned, development of the
current codebase seems to have increased significantly - that's not
necessarily a bad thing, but (for example) there's no point in me trying
to move code over to the map rewrite when I'm porting from a moving
target.

I think extended dev time is now necessary, let's get any rewrites we're going to get down out of the way, solidify documentation and coding structures, update wiki and forums, etc. My goal is that before we hit 1.0 we get as many new changes in as possible, and really work on fixing the bugs and speed improvements we have availible right now.

Stephane and Nuage - if you want a 1.0 version in the near future, what
sort of roadmap are you looking at, and when will we have a feature
freeze?  I'm sorry to nag, but if we're going to develop Glob2 in bazaar
mode, you need to be a lot more transparent and accessible about things.
In particular, it would be very helpful if you could get into the habit
of being on IRC whenever you can (e.g. when you're programming).  Even
if you only check back at the screen every hour or two, it really helps
the project along in the long-run.

I agree, whenever you are making changes please stop into the channel and ask around as many people are working on the same stuff, and it doesn't work well with half of the devs unavailable for comment.

Kyle