Re: [glob2-devel] Development Cycle

From: nct
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Development Cycle
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:32:00 +0100 (CET)

This question of release is not easy, which explains why it always popup
again and again. We have to admit that the 1.0 release will not be
perfect, far from there, otherwise there won't be any 1.0 release at all.
Nevertheless, I see the 1.0 release as basically the same game, codebase
and architecture as today, but with gameplay tuning and fix (such as the
changes Nuage did last days) as well as least possible bugs.

To clarify my thought, here is a list of things that qualify for 1.0:
- yog game display fix
- yog auth integration with mediawiki on www.globulation2.org
- specific behaviours of units fix
- display fix
- graphic improvement
- market tuning
- option changes
- bug fix
- ...

Then here is a list of things that do NOT qualify for 1.0:
- change of architecture (network model, graphic backend, yog, ...)
- big change of gameplay (adding/removing units, removing any basic
buildings, changing basic tech tree, ...)
- big display change (3d rendering, ...)

So my proposal is to complete the first list of things and release 1.0 as
soon as possible, not before we have found and fixed all reasonable known
bugs and made tuning, but before any grand rewrite. If we feel the urge of
grand rewrite, I suggest we really release 1.0 before. Glob2 has been
under work for more than 6 years, if we don't release soon but make a
rewrite instead, it will be for more years without release.

Andrew, I think it's indeed good if you freeze development on map-rewrite
and help us in HEAD until release. I totally agree we have to be more
transparent and more communicative.

The community has to keep in mind that both Nuage and me are quite busy
and that is also one of the reason we should not be too optimistic on the
number of things we still want up to 1.0

Have a nice day,