Re: [glob2-devel] gameplay and fruits

From: Nuage
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] gameplay and fruits
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:19:30 +0100

> But to fight to get it, you must be pretty much even up to that point.
> If someone gets a fruit before you, and you send in the warriors, half
> of them may be converted to the enemy before they even arrive just
> because their getting closer to the enemies inn

Wrong, there is some time needed to secure it and some time needed to bring the
fruits back to the Inns, and some time until your units are hungry. And this
make the fruits owner two places to protect instead of one, so you have a
strategical advantage. Plus you see all the enemy inns.

> (we all know that its
> always the almost-hungry warriors that sign up for flags).

Wrong, the flag will take the hungriness into account. (tip: make hospitals)

> You especially should not make the effectiveness of a gameplay element
> dependent on the map maker.

Wrong, you can make a bad map for almost every simple game on the market.

> I know some generic things like giving one
> person twice as many resources as another can be safely ignored, but
> such things as this, where a small mistake makes a map disastrous,
> should not be put in the hands of the designer. This gameplay element
> is too radical and needs a counterpart.

There is no disaster. At worst you loose and fix the map up. (And if the map is
a bit unfair, there will be some disadvantages and some advantage that a good
player is meant to take into account.)

> Also remember that this would be the "single winning strategy" as
> discussed in theory. If your nearly guaranteed to win if you get the
> fruits first, then the whole game would be just about fruits, fruits,
> fruits. Other gameplay elements could be safely ignored. All you need
> to win is fruits. Because if your enemy gets fruits, you lose, so you
> must get fruits now. Single-strategy games like this are terrible.

No, fruits are just part of the game, like other elements:
-At early stage of the game, if you don't make warriors, it's hard to win, but
it's feasible.
-At middle stage of the game, if you don't collect fruits, it's hard to win, but
it's feasible.
-At last stage of the game, if you don't make explorers it's hard to win, but
it's feasible.
If you don't like it, make a custom map: you can disable barracks, fruits and
schools.