Re: [glob2-devel] gameplay and fruits

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] gameplay and fruits
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:02:00 -0800

On 1/6/06, Nuage <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello everybody, I am willing to tell you:
> 1-I am eating some fruits. Will you join my empire for some ?
> 2-How the fruits are mean to be used. (At least into my stoned mind)
>
> Fruits are too powerfull ?
> Yes, and they are meant to be.
>
> Is it bad ?
> Yes, if you don't make the map design well enough.
>
> So how do I make a good map ?
> -option 1: you don't put any fruits
> -option 2: You do not let fruits easily accessible.
>
> Designing map with fruits is hard. I would suggest you to make maps with only
> 1
> kind of fruits and try it. Some maps with 2 fruits are so much harder to
> design.
> And don't even think some one can make a map with 3 fruits which is balanced.
>
> Here is the idea about fruits: If you get access to it, then you almost win.
> So
> fight to get it! And, if you loose this fight, then you still have some time
> attack your opponent. He needs some time to collect the fruits and convert
> your
> heretic units to his mighty empire. Die in peace!
>

> Well, this is our gameplay goal. It looks like we missed it somehow. I will
> try
> to make a good map to show how to use it.
>
> Nuage

But to fight to get it, you must be pretty much even up to that point.
If someone gets a fruit before you, and you send in the warriors, half
of them may be converted to the enemy before they even arrive just
because their getting closer to the enemies inn (we all know that its
always the almost-hungry warrirors that sign up for flags).

You especially should not make the effectiveness of a gameplay element
dependant on the map maker. I know some generic things like giving one
person twice as many resurces as another can be safely ignored, but
such things as this, where a small mistake maes a map disatrous,
should not be put in the hands of the designer. This gameplay element
is too radical and needs a counterpart.