Re: [glob2-devel] Strings that don't fit on screen

From: Fernando J. Rodríguez (Herr Groucho)
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Strings that don't fit on screen
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:35:23 -0300

El Dom 08 Ene 2006 15:13, Stéphane Magnenat escribió:
> > Come to think of it, their are plenty of wstrings that don't fit
> > in within the screen and roll offf the edge (in english). I'll
> > try to get a screenshot, the text needs to be shrunk or wrapped.
>
> Yes I know, we have to fix them for 1.0. Nevertheless that's the
> type of work that doesn't require C++ knowledge and thus can fit
> non-coder contributors.

I can do it for English too, as I mostly did for Spanish and
Portuguese because I'm now quite familiar with the strings used in
the game.

Nevertheless, there are some hopeless cases such as:
Free/hungry/starving/wounded (en)
Bien/hambriento/famélico/herido (es)
Bem/faminto/morrendo de fome/ferido (pt)

("Bien"/"Bem" meaning "Ok", as opposed to hungry/starving/wounded
which are cases of not being ok). This - I think- describes better
the state of the units, from the player point of view at least.

I put them like this:
Bien/hambr./famél./herido (es)
Bem/famint./morrendo/ferido (pt)

and still it doesn't fit completely, but at least the last word can be
partially seen.

Maybe a different layout could be used. Perhaps a two-column list of
colored square bullets would work?

[] Ok       [] Wounded
[] Hungry   [] Starving
(The graph here)

Just let me know if you would like me to try to improve the
readability of the English texts.

--
Herr Groucho

ID Jabber: address@hidden
Señal distintiva: LU5MJR - 144,550 MHz FM.
Clave pública GPG: hkp://pks.lugmen.org.ar
Fingerprint GPG: B7BD 0FC7 D9A2 66F3 4EFC  45EE 7DE2 3932 597B 6354