Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:45:42 +0100

> I couldn't resist to use Perlin Noise for the clouds as well. For the
> first results it was some 15 minutes of figuring out where to code and
> to implement it. Now I'm not satisfied with the fact everything turned
> a bit darker. But please see if you like it.

Some time ago I tried to put randomness into cloud-movement, but I
didn't upload the changes.
I remember that cloulds and water were controlled alike.
So I ended up with rivers all along changing their flow pattern.
Check that you don't make the same mistake.

I can't run the map editor with "high graphics" any more without opengl.
With glob2-0.8.21 it works fine.  Might be your changes that
cause the segmentation fault.  A custom game also crashed after a
while.  It might be that this error is in sdl and not glob2.
Last time this simply vanished when I installed newer sdl versions.
Please try the editor once without opengl.

> Advanteages are: no repeative patterns dynamic clouds that appear and
> disappear wind can be made random in that way, too.

When your already changing the weather, make the over all cloud movement
slower.  In glob2 we're alwayes having storms.  This makes me uneasy,
so I always use low grophics.  Look out of the window and compare the
time a cloud needs from one edge to the other, to the time a glob2 cloud
needs to vanish from the screen.  I'd say the times differ by magnitudes.

> Disadvanteages: untested darker so far (pn maps to [0;1] but most
> values are [.3;.7]). this can be solved with clipping.  slower
> (significantly when i painted 1x1 squares but 5x5 squares are quite
> fine and 25 times faster. 10x10 still looks good.)

It is too dark.
It is much too dark.