Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:08:52 -0500

On 1/28/07, Leo Wandersleb <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi *

I couldn't resist to use Perlin Noise for the clouds as well. For the first
results it was some 15 minutes of figuring out where to code and to implement
it. Now I'm not satisfied with the fact everything turned a bit darker. But
please see if you like it.

Advanteages are:
no repeative patterns
dynamic clouds that appear and disappear
wind can be made random in that way, too.

Disadvanteages:
untested
darker so far (pn maps to [0;1] but most values are [.3;.7]). this can be
solved with clipping.

How about when you generate the values,, lets say between 0 and 255,
that only values above 150 constitute a cloud. This will create an
obvious bias towoards open sky, but still create visible clouds for
the game.

slower (significantly when i painted 1x1 squares but 5x5 squares are quite fine
and 25 times faster. 10x10 still looks good.)

greetings,

Leo Wandersleb