Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:16:47 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:08:52 -0500
Von: "Bradley Arsenault" <address@hidden>
Betreff: Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds

> On 1/28/07, Leo Wandersleb <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi *
> >
> > I couldn't resist to use Perlin Noise for the clouds as well. For the
> first results it was some 15 minutes of figuring out where to code and to
> implement it. Now I'm not satisfied with the fact everything turned a bit
> darker. But please see if you like it.
> >
> > Advanteages are:
> > no repeative patterns
> > dynamic clouds that appear and disappear
> > wind can be made random in that way, too.
> >
> > Disadvanteages:
> > untested
> > darker so far (pn maps to [0;1] but most values are [.3;.7]). this can
> be solved with clipping.
>
> How about when you generate the values,, lets say between 0 and 255,
> that only values above 150 constitute a cloud. This will create an
> obvious bias towoards open sky, but still create visible clouds for
> the game.

mathematically i'm totally fine. my worries are about performance.

with clipping values to [0;255] i can control weather even better now. i just
didn't commit yet as i'm searching for the location where i can put some
glTriangleLists (did my diploma work with open gl but am not too comfortable
with where to put the pure open gl code now.)

i accidently found nice functions to generate water-like textures so maybe i'll
come up with that soon, too.

Greetings, Leo Wandersleb