Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] PerlinNoise based clouds
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:40:27 +0100

Hi

Thanx for feadback!

> I remember that cloulds and water were controlled alike.

they were linked by using the same integer value CloudMovment or so. If you
changed the incrementation of that, it affects both.

> So I ended up with rivers all along changing their flow pattern.
> Check that you don't make the same mistake.

checked.

> I can't run the map editor with "high graphics" any more without opengl.
> With glob2-0.8.21 it works fine.  Might be your changes that
> cause the segmentation fault.  A custom game also crashed after a
> while.  It might be that this error is in sdl and not glob2.
> Last time this simply vanished when I installed newer sdl versions.
> Please try the editor once without opengl.

thanks. i will check that tomorrow. today i'll be home very late.

> When your already changing the weather, make the over all cloud movement
> slower.

That's fine tuning. I set it to "very turbulent" so you guys see what i mean by
"dynamic clouds" ;)
I've put variables with self explainig names.
To drive my aproach even further i'd like to aply locally differing wind speeds
but that would maybe look better on the water.

> In glob2 we're alwayes having storms.  This makes me uneasy,
> so I always use low grophics.  Look out of the window and compare the
> time a cloud needs from one edge to the other, to the time a glob2 cloud
> needs to vanish from the screen.  I'd say the times differ by magnitudes.

When I look out the window I see a house beeng built. That takes at least 8
months now ;)

> It is too dark.
> It is much too dark.

I know. i will test performance and look with max(0,min(255,alpha))

How about bigger clouds? The smaller they are the finer i have to paint them
and the slower it gets.

Greetings, Leo Wandersleb