Re: [glob2-devel] flags vs. areas: getting the best of both worlds

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] flags vs. areas: getting the best of both worlds
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:21:31 +0200

> Rotating by 90 degree increments could be done.  However, I think it
> would be hard to get any other rotations or stretching and shrinking
> to do the right thing.  It would have all of the problems of rotating
> and scaling bitmap images.

Yes.
But this also allows us to import code from paint programs.

>> There are harder parts concerning the engine,
>
> It depends.  How is the circular region of current flags actually
> used?

I think flags are treated as buildings or at least similar.  So we
would have to have the flag look at its fields to know how many globs
it needs.  Then the flag has to offer jobs to the globs.  Then the
globs have to be not only directed to the flag, but to the area that
is governed by the flag.  This can be regions that arn't even
accessable from the field the flag is on.  And it shoud manage the
globs in a way that the globs are used efficiently.
Let's say you want to clear wood but preserve wheat.
The globs should go to an area where they can cut a lot of wood.
w=wheat, t=tree, F=flag

wwwtt
t wtt
tFwtt
  wtt
wwwtt

>  Are all of the cells inside the region raised in some gradient?

No, the flag has to hire globs to make sure the right amount of globs
is coming.