Re: [glob2-devel] flags vs. areas: getting the best of both worlds

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] flags vs. areas: getting the best of both worlds
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:03:01 +0200

> Currently, it looks at a (somewhat) circular region.  This would
> simply change to looking at the clearing cells it governs.

Btw: I think flags should be squares.
* This would benefit your proposal, because you will have a better
  feeling what "radius" means in glob2.  And you want the radius
  to have an effect on the cell selection.
* Clearing flags as they are today, always cut out too much resources
  in the middle and to few at the ends.  A square would be better.
* Exploration flags: a 45 degree rotated square would allow explorers
  to cycle faster.  But maybe circles look better.
* War flags: I don't know.

> How do the globs find their job right now?

I don't know.

>  I am assuming they are given the destination gradient for the flag.
> We just change that destination gradient to raise the clearing cells
> the flag governs that happen to currently have clearable resources
> on them, and we are done.

Sounds good.  I have encountered something called Building Gradient.
But it didn't consume a lot of cpu.  So if it does what it suggests
there must be a trick - like recompute only every 10 seconds.