Re: [glob2-devel] to-do before 1.0

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] to-do before 1.0
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:17:33 +1200

I _strongly_ object!
Waiting one year to release our first really stable game is a big mistake.
And with blizzard releasing this year a strategical stupidity.

When I said a year, it was a rough guess. For all I know, 1.0.0 could be out by the end of the month. It depends how fast the things on the todo list can be done. Brad has pretty much finished beta 1 already, and might move onto beta 2 soon.

1.0.0 says: "this is stable and playable"
not: "this is perfect"

1.0.0 says "this is stable and playable and has lots of cool features"
not; "this is stable and playable but whats really been added since a23 ??"

If you think about it, there is not a lot of graphical changes or features from a23. mainly rewrites. users wont see this. we need a feature or two put in to make them think, "i want this release!"

There are bigger numbers than 1 and 0.  If we get a much better game
in one year,
we can still call it 2.0.0!  Or "Globulation 3", or "Better Globulation".

Yes, but jumping that high isnt logical :P 1.1.0  will hopefully have things like priority and a new unit path finding stuff. Until then, small features, ie ones that dont need a months worth of work, should be implemented for full effect.

A final version is like death.
glob2 development mustn't stop.

wrong wording. I was refering to the golden release (as some projects call it), 1.0.0. I never thought glob2 would stop there, so if i accedentily implied that, ignore it ;)

Regards,
Kieran