Re: [glob2-devel] to-do before 1.0

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] to-do before 1.0
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 01:27:50 +0100

"Kieran P" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey Joe,
>
>>For me, the most important goal for 1.0 is: "to have a good set of features
>>and work reliably"
>
> That goes without saying. The list I showed is things that are needed in
> Globulation 2.

Although I agree with much of your list, I'm not convinced that all of
the items are “needed” rather than just “desirable”.

> Without them, the game just isn't as good as it could be.

The game will always not be “as good as it could be”.  This is a
constant fact for all programs at all times.  Any program can always
be improved.  So I think this is not a relevant criteria for what
should be ready for version 1.0.

>>I have some small quibbles with the details of the list.  Here are the things
>>I think should _not_ be in the list of things to do before version 1.0:
>>
>>* The list includes (by referencing my e-mail) my suggestions for improving
>>  Nicowar.
>
> I think Nicowar needs to be complete!

None of the items in my list of suggestions for improving Nicowar have
anything to do with whether it is “complete”.  Some of the items
represent serious flaws where Nicowar sometimes loses games that it
could easily win, if only it had a particular feature.

> If its not, then the game just isn't as good as it can be.

As I already mentioned above, this will always be true.  I think it is
not a good idea for the criteria for what goes in version 1.0 to be
whether the game is “as good as it can be”.

> And seeing as Brad is working on it anyway, it makes sense to have
> most of those changes included!

Most of my suggested changes to Nicowar involve adding significant
mechanisms, which will cost time for design, implementation, and
(especially!) debugging.  I don't think it is a good idea to make
version 1.0 wait on all of them.

--
Joe