Re: Another 6210 Bug? Or I am Just Stupid ??

From: Markus Plail
Subject: Re: Another 6210 Bug? Or I am Just Stupid ??
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:00:15 +0200

Hi Pawel and all!

* Pawel Kot writes:
>> > Nokia 6210, 6310, 6510 etc hide SIM/Phone memory distinction from the user.
>> > I don't think any sense in limiting this functionality. Anyway I write new
>>
>> But what about using the new schema for old phones? I don't know if
>> this is possible but what about creating virtual phone which will
>> have Inbox, Outbox, Achive and My folders. Inside the gnokii, driver
>> recognize the right phone type and will use the right memory type. If
>> application will data from Archive and phone is 6110, it can return
>> empty folder or unimplemented.

> So you would like to depreciate SM and ME memory types for the SMS
> support?  Well, yes. It makes sense.

Is there a memory type ME for SMS at all? All phones I know of can
either store SMS on SIM or they can save SMS on phone AND have
folders. Are there others?

> My idea is a bit different at the
> moment. The pseudo- code would look like:
> for each (memory_type) {
>         if (supports(memory_type))
>                 get_all_sms(memory_type)
> }
> This would be the way, how xgnokii/smsd works.

xgnokii and smsd are quite different in fact. I will soon post a patch
for smsd and you will see it's much .. *very* much easier than
xgnokii. There's only one thing we have to take care of:
6110 -> GMT_SM and SMSStatus
all others -> GMT_IN and SMSFolderStatus

In xgnokii the two phones are handled totally differently.
6110: read all messages, if there are changes read them again
all others: read all messages, store them in a structure, see if there
are changes in any folder, update to reflect changes. Perhaps my
xgnokii SMS handling code is a bit bloated, but now it works quite well.

> Other way to do it is to use:
> listfolders (or whatever it is called). We can create such dumb
> functions for the other drivers. I'm not sure though, whether it is
> exported to the app space at the moment. Markus?

I don't see too much difference in the two possibilities. Actually I
think we need both. We could for example seave the different valif
memory types in Phone->Info. This would be listfolders.
Then we can do a if (supports(memory_type)).
Having done this we would need a fake GetSMSFolderStatus for 6110,
which returns SMSStatus, which is the same for both phones.
For xgnokii it wouldn't change too much for the moment, because the
different phones are just handled in totally different way, which is
API independent mostly,

> I'd like to discuss this issue now and choose the best solution we can
> think of.

Surely a good idea ;-)

regards
Markus