[Gnu-arch-users] tagline considered harmful?

From: Maksim Lin
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tagline considered harmful?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:26:16 +1000

Having read in the tla docs that tagline is the recommended tagging method, I'm wondering what the compelling reasons for using it are?
From my point of view it seesm quite limiting in that:
- It won't work with binary files (eg. my apps icons or 3rd party library files which I want to version manage as well as my src code) - It won't work for things like xml-type documents that are produced by many 3rd party apps (eg. open office docs) where it may be very difficult or impossibel to insert a tagline in the first or last 1kb - It makes it very easy (though admittedly not epecially likely) for anyone editing the file to accidently stuff up the tagline - It means that I need some mechanism to come up with unique taglines (unless I use the obvious orig full pathname of the file technique discussed on the list previously)

Against all this I see almost no disadvantages to using the explicit method and all the advantages of the above, except for the small inconvienience of having to remember to do 'tla add ...' and as a perforce user (at work) I've pretty much learnt to do that as par for the course.
So am I missing something about using taglines?

Maks.