Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline considered harmful?

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline considered harmful?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:35:04 -0700

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 01:55:16PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> Having read in the tla docs that tagline is the recommended tagging > method, I'm wondering what the compelling reasons for using it are?

I don't have to use special tools to move a file -- `mv' works fine.
Same for removing a file.

unless the file is of a type incompatible with tagline, if you have
those then you must remember which ones are using tagline and which
ones don't before doing a move.

I was reading Eric Raymonds new book "The Art of Unix Programming" and
one interesting fact leapt out at me:  you CAN tag PNG format images.
They have a special file format that lets you add arbitrary chunks of
data to them, you just set a flag telling browsers that they can ignore
the chunk safely.  And I know JPG and GIF files have text comment
sections which could contain an arch-id: tag (I really like arch-id:
better than arch-tag;)

Not sure what to do about tagging gzip files, but self-extracting gzip
files are definately taggable, as they are just shell script wrappers
around the data, and invoke gzip.  (at least, they used to be)

Tom, will you later on be supporting customized diff formats for
individual file format types?  For instance, as a writer, I'd like to
use "wdiff" for my writings, because it operates on a word by word
level, which is more useful to me to see what changes I made.  I know,
the utility to apply wdiff files as patches hasn't been developed yet,
but if you plan to put hooks in for such a thing, I think it will be
worth developing.  CVS and Subversion right now don't have such
flexibility (I don't think), so there is no motive for developing a
wpatch.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2