Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline considered harmful?

From: Ethan Benson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline considered harmful?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:55:16 -0800

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 08:26:39PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On Aug 23 2003, Maksim wrote:
> >
> > Having read in the tla docs that tagline is the recommended tagging
> > method, I'm wondering what the compelling reasons for using it are?
>
> I don't have to use special tools to move a file -- `mv' works fine.
> Same for removing a file.

unless the file is of a type incompatible with tagline, if you have
those then you must remember which ones are using tagline and which
ones don't before doing a move.

it occurs to me that explicit tagging could work the same way as
tagline in that tla move/delete would not be needed, if the tag was
stored in an extended attribute.  unfortunatly this would not be
portable in the least.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/