Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why is "popular" software hard to change? [was

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why is "popular" software hard to change? [was some damn OT thread]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:36:47 +0100

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:51:17AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> If evolution were more like Emacs, instead of a flamewar, since the
> members of this list are generally technically competent, somebody
> would have posted some code to stick your .evolution file if you want
> a reply-to-list button.  If that code were good, it would likely
> spread among technical users, perhaps receiving further polish.  In an
> office where mailing lists are important, the IT department might
> install the extension on behalf of non-technical users.  Eventually,
> sure, it would likely make it into the official distribution.
>
> But instead, if one wanted to hack evolution for this purpose, one
> would have to figure out how to get patches accepted by the main
> developers -- and then wait until it appeared in some future round of
> commercial relesaes -- and then wonder whether the users actually like
> the new feature.

I'd submit a patch to Kitame for inclusion in the Debian package. He's
usually willing to apply things which upstream reject for silly
reasons.

However, evolution already has a reply-to-list feature. It took me
about five minutes to find this, while glancing at the code. I've no
idea where the corresponding button is, since I don't use evolution.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |