Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why is "popular" software hard to change? [was

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why is "popular" software hard to change? [was some damn OT thread]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:22:36 -0700

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:51:17AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
If evolution were more like Emacs, instead of a flamewar, since the
members of this list are generally technically competent, somebody
would have posted some code to stick your .evolution file if you want
a reply-to-list button.  If that code were good, it would likely
spread among technical users, perhaps receiving further polish.  In an
office where mailing lists are important, the IT department might
install the extension on behalf of non-technical users.  Eventually,
sure, it would likely make it into the official distribution.

But instead, if one wanted to hack evolution for this purpose, one
would have to figure out how to get patches accepted by the main
developers -- and then wait until it appeared in some future round of
commercial relesaes -- and then wonder whether the users actually like
the new feature.

If the emacs email clients weren't kitchen sink net-news readers that
DELETE MY READ MAILS every chance they get, or else HIDE THEM FROM ME,
I'd be using it right now.  I prefer to keep ALL my mails and NEVER
delete any. And I like being able to go into a mailbox and browse
through ALL the mails on record.  Does emacs make this easy?  No.

So I use mutt, because it is the best of the "free" email clients, even
though the authors are arrogant assholes, and developement virtually
ceased two years ago, and they haven't shown any interest in putting in
hooks so I can implement Bayesian filtering whenever I "move" a mail
from one folder to another... Phew!  Mutt does have some nice features,
but the elitism and crap of the people maintaining it make it a harsh
pain to use.

Will someone please write an email-only emacs client?  That I don't have
to spend a week learning how to configure and customize?

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2