Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert upd

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert update
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:07:47 +0100

I'll reply to a different email of Andrew's, as the last one is too terse.

On 2003-08-23 11:06:02 +0100 Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> wrote:
List-* is not a substitute for M-F-T

You're looking at it the wrong way round. M-F-T is not a good substitute for List-* and even fails at being a good substitute for Reply-To.

[...] Example: given only the List-* headers, how do you describe
that you *want* to receive personal copies of list mail?

You set Reply-To accordingly.  Maybe even mention it, just to be sure.

As for "non-standard", I stipulate that I am at least as qualified to
hand down pronouncements of standard-ness as the IETF
cabal. [...]

You have no peer review, independence or track record. If anything, you have a track record of advocating and coding standards breaches.

For example, if you subscribe to the notion that the IETF cabal is the
almighty source of truth, justice, and honour [...]

This just goes off the deep end. I suspect that mutt users are in denial at least as far as users of other MUAs that do not support mailing lists properly. ("We're not broken. Reality must be fixed!")

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden