Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --date

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --date
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:36:17 -0600

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 17:07, James Blackwell wrote:
> You could also save my-id, set it to what you want, do your work, and
> set it back. This would be trivial in perl and probably trivial in
> python as well.

Certainly, it's trivial, but the issue is safety. What if the script
errors out after my-id has been changed but before it's returned to its
original state?

Sure, I can put a try/finally block around the relevant code, but it's
only *reasonably good* safety, not perfect -- plus there's potential for
issues if the user is trying to use tla concurrently.