Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sftp rename?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sftp rename?
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:56:34 -0500

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 01:52:31AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Why is sftp needed when there was/is already scp?
>
> scp is based on rcp and has annoying problems with funny filenames.  The
> protocol has been frozen years ago; you can't transmit any file
> attributes except mode bits, and error handling is *extremely* poor.

Yeah, and I think scp is basically depreciated in favor of sftp, for this and
for other reasons such as lack of functionality (I recall reading this in
some ssh docs somewhere, though I'm not sure exactly where -- I just checked
the man pages and it's not there...).

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen