Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search
Date: 12 Feb 2006 01:22:51 +1100

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    From: Joe Bush <address@hidden>
>    Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 04:41:35 GMT
>
>    [...] now collecting private information from those who use it [...]
>
> below is some code that does essentially the same thing.  i don't run
> this stuff personally, i just write it (to remind myself and others of
> the methods of the watchers lest they be forgotten).  keep your friends
> close, and all that...
>
> if someone would be also uncomfortable running this, would they be less
> uncomfortable not having access to the source code?  oop ack!

On thing which often strikes me is the speed with which people will
willingly download and install software, even when in source form,
without actually knowing anything about the author or how trustworthy
they are and will just run the softwre without checking the sources..
I've often wondered, for an experiment, what results you woul dget if
you created a handy little utility, but embedded within it som ecode
which gathered information about the user and mailed it to some remote
site.

Tim
--
Tim Cross