Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:08:38 +1000

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 14:37:03 -0300
Diego Saravia <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > source of linux libre is linux, and is not free
> > > source of icecat is firefox and we are seeing that is not free
> >
> > Source of Linux-libre is Linux-libre, [...]
> >
> > Source of GNU IceCat, [...]
> >
> that files are not sources, sources are in linux project and mozilla
> proyects.

[...]

> these files are modified by hand or in automatic way (like kernel in
> ututo), bur are not sources
>
> call them sources is like call sources a grammar in c produced by
> yacc/bisson

Hardly.

> there are not legaly sources, and is not a good idea to think of them
> as a new project, becouse the people that really do the code are not
> in linux-libre nor in ice cat project.  They are not new projects,

While projects like linux-libre and icecat are not the legal copyright
holder of the source isn't relevant to us; the licence they are
distributed under gives us the permission we need. (No one entity holds
all the copyright to Linux either).

Saying we don't have source code because we are not the originator of
the project is a logical fallacy.

> nor forks, and continue to be that way, each new version is
> constructed from a new version of the very sources. Only one
> criterion: remove non free, restrict the universo of machines to the
> one in wich only free soft. could be run.

Not sure what you were getting at there.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)