Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:27:20 -0700 (PDT)

What? Is is absolutely source code.

In a way, they are forks from upstream. They address the problematic areas of
the upstream software that concern the free software community that upstream
doesn't want to address. GNU Icecat, for example, can be used without ever
thinking about Mozilla's trademark policy since it's completely rebranded, and
Linux-libre addresses all of the problematic areas of the upstream Linux kernel.

There's no need for a code split, since that's what you seem to be talking
about. While I would love to see the upstream Linux kernel adopt the changes
that are made in Linux-libre, I doubt that will happen any time soon. In the
meantime, we have a kernel that is entirely freedom-respecting. What would we
use without Linux-libre? The HURD is not really ready for prime time, and
developing an entirely new kernel from scratch would take alot of time and
energy and gain us... what, exactly? We'd gain an entirely free kernel *all
over again*? We already have one. So I see nothing bad about maintaining what
is essentially a fork of the Linux kernel, and incorporating changes from new
releases of the Linux kernel when they occur, and plenty of good stuff reasons
to do so.