Re: List posting rules

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: List posting rules
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 21:37:49 +0100

Hi Sandra,

On Sat, 2019-11-02 at 13:21 -0600, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
> On 11/2/19 1:01 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
> > The purpose of this list is spelled out in the list description.
> > Sandra didn't post a discussion about governance, she didn't talk
> > about restructuring the GNU Project. She spoke only about existing
> > leadership.
> >
> > Governance discussions, those talking about governance models, and how
> > to restructure GNU, should stay on topic, and should *not* talk about
> > people and their capabilities.
>
> I apologize for straying from the list rules.  I was not aware of
> exactly what they were when I posted; I thought this was the public
> equivalent of the private gnu-and-fsf list where I'd previously sent
> similar remarks.

No need to apologize at all. You didn't break any rules. The list rules
are more like guidelines [*] that are interpreted in the most favorable
terms for first time posters. The moderation/enforcement of the rules
is only because we noticed in the past there are sometimes people
posting multiple times a day repeatedly ignoring the guidelines
creating a very hostile environment.

> The list owners can delete my previous mails from the list archives, if
> that seems appropriate.  But in that case I hope the various list
> messages accusing me of hysteria, lying, slander, etc would also be deleted.

Some of those replies were completely disrespectful personal sexist
attacks on you personally. As a moderator I apologize some of those
were let through.

Cheers,

Mark

[*] Just for reference, this is from the gnu-misc-discuss info page:

  Flaming is out of place. Tit-for-tat is not welcome. Repetition
  should not occur.

  Good READING and writing are expected. Before posting, wait a while,
  cool off, and think.

  So take your time to reply and think whether you actually have a new
  point to make, or if you are just restating your opinion again. If
  possible bundle your replies to several messages. Restricting yourself
  to just one message a day to the list is not a bad thing.

  Don't just reply to every message repeating your opinion or have a tit-
  for-tat discussion with just one member of the list. Also consider
  addressing the list directly and remove individuals from the CC to
  prevent a rapid fire back-and-forth between two people simply
  disagreeing without the messages even having made it to the list yet.

  Make sure you have read the kind communication guide:
  https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html

  Some important points from that: Assume other participants are posting
  in good faith, even if you disagree with what they say. Please do not
  criticize people for wrongs that you only speculate they may have done;
  stick to what they actually say and actually do. Please respond to what
  people actually said, not to exaggerations of their views. Your
  criticism will not be constructive if it is aimed at a target other
  than their real views. If in a discussion someone brings up a tangent
  to the topic at hand, please keep the discussion on track by focusing
  on the current topic rather than the tangent. If you think the tangent
  is an important and pertinent issue, please bring it up as a separate
  discussion, with a Subject field to fit, and consider waiting for the
  end of the current discussion.

  And for GNU Project governance discussion threads, they should stay
  on topic and be strictly about governance and not about specific
  people and their respective abilities.