Re: List posting rules

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: List posting rules
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 14:52:15 +0100

Hi DJ,

On Sat, 2019-11-02 at 19:54 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> If your solution to "I broke the rules" is "post my messages anyway, so
> I can get away with breaking the rules"... no thanks.
>
> If you have a problem with the moderation, that's between you and the
> moderators.  The rest of us will wait until you can compose a posting
> that does not break the rules, to hear what you have to say.
>
> Moderators - please continue doing your job.

I appreciate the public vote of confidence, but how we communicate
kindly and constructively with each other is something we should solve
together. I am glad you trust that we made the right call, but I can
certainly see how Marcel's opinion is somewhat different. That we have
to moderate is a problem. Some people do need a bit of help seeing why
their messages are unkind and why they should tone it down to make the
conversation pleasant and constructive. I certainly see Marcel's
problem. The moderators don't have time to debug every individual
message with each contributor. On the other hand letting through
repeatedly unkind and unconstructive message to the list so all list
members can help debug makes the mailinglist toxic pretty fast. I hope
we can find a good middle ground by letting most messages through
(which we really already do), even if they are unkind, and only stop
accepting them after someone has been repeated warned that their
messaging is not improving.

Cheers,

Mark