Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:41:38 -0700 (MST)

David Sugar said:
> While I am aware a number of GNU speakers had offered to speak at this
> event  originally, and it appears Tony has chosen specifically not to
> select such  speakers who wish to speak about free software or the
> ethical issues  involved, it seems to me largely pointless to attend an
> event where one  already has no voice whatsoever, especially when such
> an incorrect position  is being put forward.  I am not sure if the gnue
> presentation was ever  finally accepted or not, and perhaps Derek can
> clarify if that happened, but  I am aware of other speakers whom I know
> wished to cover that area which were  turned down.

I do not think any of the GNUe proposals were accepted.  However, I dont
want to even bring that up, because this is not a case of sour grapes.
Stanley was the one putting effort into a presentation for this event.  My
primary gripe is as David states the ideal that "shared source" is being
put in a light that to people who are coming to learn about our community
will simply think that its part of our community.  When it clearly is not.
 On top of that there is little representation from the free software
community which makes it even worse.

-Derek