Re: language translator help

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: language translator help
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 01:55:19 -0700

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 27 May 2002 22:26:06 +0200

   It is not about every single commit per se, but about every single
   'work item' that is carried out in the stable branch.  We are at the
   point (within the stable branch), where the permitted work items are
   pretty small, like fixing a bug that has an obvious and simple fix or
   workaround.  So (for the stable branch), Rob needs to approve almost
   every single commit.

   In the unstable branch, pretty much everything is possible.

what does this have to do w/ "Guile 1.4.2" (see TODO).  it looks like
you've got that confused w/ something else.

next on the plate under that top-level TODO item is to write a proposal
given the recent research into libltdl capabilities and the plug-in arch
survey, hardly so dangerous a task as to require yanking write privs.
maybe you ought to figure out what you're trying to defend here; it
isn't stability or progress.  what are you afraid of?  someone wanting
1.4.x more than 1.6.x?

in any case, good news: libltdl has been stable for two years and there
are usages of lt_dlsetsearchpath in GNU software that we can consult for
guidance.  additionally, lt_* supports user loading discipline, so that
abstraction level is already there; no need to reinvent anything.  mutex
support built-in makes things very nice.  my opinion of libltdl has gone
up dramatically after reading its info pages and doing some mailing list
archive digging.  we are at best under-utilizing it presently.

thi