Re: guile-db

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: guile-db
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:18:19 +0000

Quoth <address@hidden>:
> ---- Clinton Ebadi <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>   (define-module (pg whatever)
>>     #:export (guile-pg symbols ...))
>>
>>   (load-extension "libwhateverpg" "guile_pg_init")
>>
>> Is roughly what you need. Assuming that there is an init function in
>> guile-pg that creates all of bindings for the library which, if I am
>> remembering how the autoloading magic works, it has to. This is
>> definitely something that anyone could do (just find the guile-pg init
>> function and export every scm_define_gsubr etc.).
>
> Yes, this needs to be done, but there is quite a bit more work that
> has to happen.
>
> The C code uses features and interfaces from Guile 1.4 that are
> deprecated in 1.6 and completely removed in 1.8.  You just can't
> compile and link the C code against a 1.8 Guile.

Thanks Dale.  I felt certain that it wasn't as straight forward as Greg
suggests, having a vague memory of reading an earlier thread in which
this was diuscussed.

> I think you are referring to guile-pg 0.07

I'm referring to whichever guile-pg you get when you issue the command
'apt-get install guile-pg' on a stock Debian box.

> The sourceforge version appears to be vanishing.

The 'sourceforge version'?

> I switched pkgsrc to ttn's version long ago.

Please can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying there's a
Debian package of ttn's guile-pg?

Sebastian